Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Week 14 Reading Diary: Italian Popular Tales

As much as I enjoyed my spooky Russian reading from last week, I have to admit that I was happy to turn to something a little more happily-ever-after this week with the Italian Popular Tales unit. These stories are originally from Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane. 

Since I studied abroad in Italy after my freshman year, I was excited to get a different perspective on the  culture that I so enjoyed learning from and about. Most of these tales seem to be from around the middle ages which was a time of huge diversity and commerce in Italy. How great to read some of the stories that probably were shared all over the growing cities and towns!

Many of these stories have similar bases to stories that I grew up hearing from my family or seeing in movies. For example, in this first part of the unit, I really enjoyed the story "The Fair Angola." While it had many similarities to what I know as Rapunzel, it also had themes from other classic tales like Rumpelstilskin! I wonder if more of the stories in the second unit will have that kind of overlap?

My favorite story by far, though, was the story of Catherine. I was particularly intrigued by the idea of Fates. I wonder if they have any connection to classical ideas of muses? Also, the number 7 kept being repeated in importance. I'd like to learn more about that and see if that symbol comes up in other stories.

Image Information

No comments:

Post a Comment