Monday, April 11, 2016

Week 11: Famous Last Words

I feel like this has been both the shortest and the longest week!

Because I have struggled with a bit of illness lately, I am playing a little bit of catch up in class at the moment. Especially during the season of exams and papers, getting behind by even a day can be overwhelming! However, this class is always calming in a way to me because of the set and clear schedule. It's truly a life-saver to an often frazzled brain!

This week, I got to read stories from the Welsh tradition. I have particularly enjoyed this course because, on top of expanding my reading and writing range, I have been able to learn more about parts of my own heritage! The stories about Pwyll and Rhiannon in particular led me to do more research. I was intrigued to see all of the many poems and songs about their relationship. However, I was surprised to see that Fleetwood Mac's Rhiannon was not about the same Rhiannon! Their song, Angel, however, is!

I also really enjoyed challenging myself with the one pulse story writing style. I know that I have a tendency to write long sentences, but I did not anticipate what a challenge it would be to use short yet concise words! It significantly shortened my sentence length. While, in my opinion, my writing lost my unique voice in this style, I think that with more practice I could write both concisely and in my own voice! I hope I can try this style again soon!

Other classes are also wrapping up, so I am beginning all of my big final papers in the next week. Wish me luck! I was lucky to have time to spend away from work a bit this week as well though to celebrate my birthday on Wednesday. I felt very loved and had a great time going to dinner and seeing The Princess Bride at the new theatre in Norman!

     Personal photo of birthday flowers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Audra! I definitely know how it feels being sick lately. I was actually in the same position a couple weeks ago and it happened to be one of my biggest weeks but i felt so bad and was so tired, i got NOTHING done. So, I did a little bit of catch up but still feel like I have tons to do. Famous Last Words is one of my favorite extra credit options as it gives me the opportunity to speak about other things besides the class and also gives people a chance to get to know other people in the class!

    ReplyDelete