Saturday, April 30, 2016

Week 14 Extra Credit Reading: Italian Popular Tales

Due to being sick and a few too many tornado warnings for my taste, I was not able to do my Wednesday reading diary post. So, here are my thoughts on the second half of the extremely interesting Italian Popular Tales unit! These stories are originally from Italian Popular Tales by Thomas Frederick Crane.

The story that immediately caught my eye was "An Incident in Rome." Why did a hole in the ground lead to somewhere? Why did the carter agree to go in?? Maybe I'm still in the Russian ghost story mindset, but I feel like that was foreshadowing something spooky. This story excellently used suspense. The identity of the person in the hole was not revealed until the very end. The story structure was composed just like a latin sentence is constructed! Wow, all my semesters of latin have paid off!

While the first section of stories was more familiar, I really enjoyed the newness of the stories and the diversity of themes in the second section!

Pontius Pilate-- the surprise character
Image Information

No comments:

Post a Comment