Sunday, April 17, 2016

Week 12 Extra Credit Reading: Canterbury Tales

I read parts of the Canterbury Tales in high school. Another English class was reading the story as part of the curriculum, but my class was not. So, I took it upon myself to read the same sections and sit in on discussions! However, it seems like a long time ago! So this week, I wanted to take a look back and re-read the stories. I'm excited to look at them in a new light and catch new details!

These stories are in modern prose from The Chaucer Story Book by Eva March Tappan.

I particularly enjoyed one of the first stories: The Wife of Bath's Tale: The Unknown Bride. There was a lot of cultural detail as well as humor inserted into what at first seems like a general story. For example, when the knight is finding out what women want, he says it isn't possible for her to keep secrets! Stereotypes galore! Of course, the knights stereotypes are quickly turned when an old woman is the one to help him.  I was sad, of course, to find that even though he agreed to respect her regardless of her appearance or poverty, he truly expressed love for her after she became beautiful.

Storybook Cover
Image Information



No comments:

Post a Comment