Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Week 6 Reading Diary: Folklore of Laos

This week, I am reading Folklore of Laos originally from Katherine Fleeson's Laos Folk-Lore.  Laos is a small country, but it is full of exciting history and culture.  This section has stories that seem like they could be in many Asian reading units like the Buddhist stories but also tales that are totally unique to Laos culture like the "how it's made" stories! Here are a few of my favorites!


A Child of the Woods:
I was really intrigued by this story initially because the storyteller is an old woman! First of all, it has been rare to see a female narrator who is not a bride or in danger. Second, she is lauded, not for her beauty or charms, but for her experiences! Cool! As I read about her experience in the jungle, I couldn't help but think of The Jungle Book. I wonder if these stories are connected at all or if it is one of those plot lines that spans cultures.  I'd also like to know more about her back story. What angered her so much? Why was she unafraid of the animals in the jungle when the other people were?

The Enchanted Mountain:
This story talks about a Garden of Eden of sorts. My favorite part was the flower that instantly gives you renewed energy-- I could use that quite frequently! The story mainly details all of the splendor of the enchanted place. However, it warns that it's goods cannot be taken away from it. I was most intrigue by this one though because of the final sentence. It states that only the young people believe the story. So, are the hunters telling the truth and only the kids believe it, or is this just a fairy tale to teach a lesson about faith?

The Spirit-Guarded Cave:
This story made me think of what I'm currently learning about in my ancient art and archaeology class. When the Mycenaeans encroached on the Minoan city of Knossos, the city's inhabitants strategically buried their most valued possessions deep in the earth near the palace. It is unknown of course whether they thought they could return to get these items after the attack or if they were just preventing the Mycenaeans for procuring them. In the case of this story, it seems the people intended to return. Unfortunately, unlike the people of this story, the Minoans' treasures were uncovered and taken by later excavators.

The Origin of Lightning:
This story was interesting because of its heavy focus on reincarnation. I did not think about that being a part of the belief system in Laos! It followed what little I know about reincarnation in that the favorite wife kept being reincarnated until her heart/character was pure and good. However, I am curious about how this worked with the king's motivations. While he did good acts, he did them for their reward not for the goodness of doing them. How does that fit in the puzzle?

Home near the jungle in Laos
Image Source


No comments:

Post a Comment